There are several things to consider when you’re updating a home to be senior-friendly. From a senior-friendly bathroom to kitchen conveniences you want to do it the right way. Here are some great ideas to prepare your or your loved ones home for aging in place.
Follow the tips below to make sure your home is it safe and convenient as possible.
The path into many homes may have cracked sidewalks or uneven services. This will create a danger zone. Repaving and reconstructed level smooth surfaces will allow for easier mobility.
- Add non-slip flooring in the entryway inside the home.
- If you have stairs install rails on both sides of the stairs.
- Increase stair visibility by using contrast strips on the top and bottom
Transform entryways into safe areas for seniors
- Make sure there is at least one covered entryway into the home. You want at least one area completely protected from the elements.
- Create an area for your bundles and packages both inside and outside the home. Use this surface when coming and going to keep your hands free and your balance high when coming in and out.
Better lighting will keep your loved ones safe
- Increase lighting at all interest areas
- Add motion-sensor lights focus on ramps and stairs. Also, point lighting at the front and back door locks.